12 scoring sessions will be held throughout state
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources has scheduled antler-scoring sessions across the state for March, culminating in three days of scoring at the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic in Columbia.
SCDNR measures deer antlers across the state each March to determine whether or not they’re big enough to be included in South Carolina’s all-time antler records list. Minimum scores for the record-book are 125 points for typical antlers and 145 points for non-typical antlers, scored according to the Boone & Crockett Club’s system. The record book contains more than 7,000 sets of antlers. Last season’s scoring sessions added 232 bucks to the record book.
Hunters wishing to have their deer scored need to provide documentation, including the date and county of the kill, and sign a fair chase statement. Antlers in velvet or those that are broken or repaired or separated from the skull plate cannot be measured for the record book.
The list of the antler-scoring sessions:
- March 1, Wilson’s Taxidermy, Bath, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m, 803-593-3357
- March 2, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Columbia, 1-7 p.m., 803-731-3000
- March 5, Cabela’s, Greenville, 2-8 p.m., 864-516-8100
- March 7, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Anderson, 2-8 p.m., 864-540-7100
- March 8, Price’s Country Store, Gilbert, 1-5 p.m., 803-892-2457
- March 12, Durham’s Grocery, Pickens, 2-8 p.m., 864-868-2070
- March 13, Dennis Wildlife Center, Bonneau, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., 853-825-3387, please call ahead
- March 14, Hunter’s Headquarters, Greenwood, 2-7 p.m., 864-223-1911
- March 19, Academy Sports, Easley, 2-8 p.m., 864-850-6130
- March 22-24, S.C. State Fairgrounds, Columbia, Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic, 803-734-3886
By appointment only: SCDNR office, Camden, 843-309-5165; SCDNR office, Clemson, 864-986-6247; SCDNR office, Columbia, 803-734-8738; SCDNR office, Florence, 843-661-4768; SCDNR office, Garnett, 803-625-3569; SCDNR office, Georgetown, 843-546-8119; SCDNR office, Union, 864-427-5140.
Watch the video to see the process of scoring a whitetail deer.