The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources has placed freezers at select docks, marinas, and at bait shops that recreational anglers can use to drop off fish carcasses.
These sites will have catch cards that go along with the fish carcass in a carcass bag. The catch cards are intended to provide data and information about a fisherman’s trip, such as date and length of trip.
State biologists will collect the frozen carcasses. They will measure the length of the carcass and remove the otoliths (ear bones) to determine the fish’s age.
How it Works:
- Once back to the dock, filet your fish.
- Keep the carcass with the head, tail, and gonads (if possible) intact.
- Take the carcass to one of the collection freezer locations.
- Place your fish in one of the provided plastic bags.
- Fill out the provided catch card.
- At the time of your catch, please make sure that you note your catch location using Latitude and Longitude (for use on the catch card)
- Place the completed catch card in the bag with the fish.
- Tie bag closed and place it in the collection freezer.
- Fish-On Outfitters
800 Sea Mountain Highway
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582
- Harrelson’s Seafood Market
4368 U.S. 17 Business
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
- Georgetown Landing Marina
432 Marina Drive
Georgetown, SC 29440
Hours of access – 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sewee Outpost
4853 North Highway 17
Awendaw, SC 29429
- Mt. Pleasant Fishing Pier
71 Harry M. Hallman Jr. Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
- SCDNR – Marine Resources Center
217 Fort Johnson Road
Charleston, SC 29412
Hours of access – no restrictions by boat, gate open Mon – Fri 6:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Beaufort Dock and Supply
1734 Ribaut Road
Port Royal, SC 29935
Hours of access – Mon – Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sat 7:00 am to 4 pm
- Waddell Mariculture Center
211 Sawmill Creek Road
Bluffton, SC 29910
Hours of access – gate open Mon – Fri 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Skull Creek Boathouse Restaurant
397 Squire Pope Road
Hilton Head, SC 29926
Click here to read about a Lexington, S.C. angler who caught the N.C. state record gray snapper.
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Carolina Sportsman Magazine and CarolinaSportsman.com.