One invitation to the 2006 Bassmaster Classic will be awarded to the winning boater of the Jan. 19-21 ESPN Outdoors Series National Championship at East Lake Tohopekaliga in Kissimmee, Fla. He’ll also earn $100,000.Six Tar Heel fishermen qualified for the event through the Outdoors Series regional competition.
They are Jeff Coble of Manson and David Wright of Lexington from the Kerr Lake Regional; Pat Golden of High Point, Mike McDonald of Randleman and Will Petty of Charlotte from the Columbus Pool Regional; and Denny Moore of Winterville from the Second Chance Tournament.
Non-boaters Bobby Gregory of Fuquay-Varina and Kevin Lynch of Claremont will be fishing for $50,000, the top prize for non-boaters. But Classic berths aren’t awarded to non-boaters.
Mike McClelland of Bella Vista, Ark.; Rick Morris of Lanexa, Va.; Chad Brauer of Osage Beach, Mo.; Randy Howell of Springville, Ala.; and Mark Menendez of Paducah, Ky., received invitations to the 2006 Bassmaster Classic following their top-five finishes at the Dec. 1-4 Bassmaster Open Championship at the Alabama River.
The five Tar Heel fishermen in the tournament failed to make second-round cut when the 90-man field was reduced to the top-10 fishermen.
Kevin Langill of Terrell placed 21st with 12-01 and earned $1,500. Cherryville’s Guy Eaker ranked 29th with 10-15 and received $1,300. Britt Myers of Mt. Holly finished 44th with 8-12 and won $1,100. Rodney Sorrell of Stokesdale placed 73rd with 3-15 and banked $900.
Non-boater Royce Madden of High Point had one keeper bass weighing 1-08 and collected $500.
Norman Winter Team Bass Championship Trail
Lake Norman, Dec. 3
1. Roger Pope of Statesville and Hank Cherry of Charlotte,15.35, $1,200; 2. Jerry Goble of Sherrills Ford and Jim Witherspoon of Claremont, 15.00, $600; 3. Randell W. Hutson of Mt. Airy and Roger Griffin of Statesville, 11.90, $300; 4. Scott Hamrick and Chuck Poovey of Denver, 11.85, $215; 5. Don and and Kevin Stanley of Newton, 11.65, $175; 6. Doug McClure of Dallas, 11.,65, $155; 7. Jody Wright and Lester Ellon, 11.10, $90; 7. Tommy Russell of Concord and Mac Lowe of Indian Trail, 10.70, $85; 9. Marty Sweeting of Harrisburg and Roger Day of China Grove, 10.60, $75; 10. Dan Duvall of Charlotte and Dennis Jenkins, 10.10, $65.
Big fish: Russell and Lowe with a 4.40-pound bass worth $740.
Lake Norman, Dec. 4
1. Roger Pope of Statesville and Nathan Webber, 13.15, $820; 2. Jim Witherspoon of Claremont, 12.35, $410; 3. Dan Duvall and Johnny Etheridge of Mooresville, 11.00, $250; 4. Bobby Fish and Cliff Barrer, 11.00, $180; 5. Mike Smith and Brian Morgan, 10.95, $150; 6. Marcus Church and Terry Bolick, 10.85, $110; 7. Hank Cherry of Charlotte and Jerry Goble of Sherrills Ford, 10.75, $80; 8. Ed Furr and Paul Heape, 10.08, and big bass with a 4.75-pound fish, $500.
Lake Norman, Dec. 10
1. Jerry Goble of Sherrills Ford and Jim Witherspoon of Claremont, 13.20, $1,210; 2. Dan Duvall of Charlotte and Dennis Jackson, 13.00, $610; 3. Doug Easton and David Lynch of Mooresville, 12.05, $310; 4. Randell W. Hutson of Mt. Airy and Butch Holder, 11.15, $225; 5. Mark and Roger Brown, 10.70, $175; 6. Kevin Langill of Terrell and William Henning, 10.60, $155; 7. Bill Hamilton and Ken Troutman, 10.10, $90; 8. Scott Beatty and Troy Smith, 9.65, $85; 9. Doug McClure of Dallas, 9.20, $75; 10. Roger Pope of Statesville and Nathan Webber, 9.05, $65.
Big fish: Hutson and Holder with a 5.10-pound bass worth $750.
Carolina Anglers’ Tournament Trail
Lake Wateree, S.C., Nov.19
1. Andy Owens, 17.03, $1,500; 2. Gene Webster, 16.11, $1,000; 3. Dennis Shumate, 15.06, and big fish with a 5.09-pound bass, $789; 4. Todd Moss and John Schohn, 15.04, $300; 5. Louie Hull, 14.13, $180; 6. Randall Driggers and Josh McGregor, 11.06, $78.
Lake Wylie, Dec. 10
1. Tom Russell and Doug Gilmer, 21-04, and big fish with a 5-pound, 4-ounce bass, $1,689; 2. Andy Montgomery and Louie Hull, 17-05, $1,000; 3. John Schohn and Todd Moss, 15-01, $650; 4. Mike Seawright and Gene Webster, 12-13, $300; 5. Chris and Jim Carroll, 12-12, $231.
Thanksgiving Classic Bass Tournament
Lake Norman, Nov. 26
1. Robert Stiltner of Mt. Mourne and Alfred Kiesling Jr. of Mooresville, 15.83, and big fish with a 4.70-pound bass; 2. Tony Shook of Claremont and Michael Fox , 12.80.
Balls Creek Bassmasters
Lake Rhoadhiss, Jan. 28
1. Bob Patrick of Conover, 10.10; 2. Bron Hemphill of Conover, 9.80; 3. Glenn Brinkle of Hickory, 9.10.
Southern Crappie Association
Lake Wateree, S.C., Dec. 10
1. Nick Babin of Gilbert, S.C., 15.25, $1,250; 2. Jim Hood and Sandy Hazeldon of Rock Hill, S.C., 14.01, $589; 3. Tom Sprouse of Advance and Steve Gentry of Winston-Salem, 13.28, $319; 4. Jody Eudy and Nelson Henderson of Great Falls, S.C., $283; 5. Marc Danque of Chapin, S.C.,12.70, $247; 6. Wayne Medlin of Lugoff, S.C., and George Kumas of Camden, S.C., 12.67, $211; 7. James Rabon and John Rice of Camden, S.C., 12.61, and big fish with a 2.25-pound crappie, $545; 8. Randy Pope of Hickory and Jerry Pruitt of Vale, 12.60, $157; 9. Mike and Beverly Small of Camden, S.C., 12.29, $259; !0. Eddie Werts and Kenneth Winn of Saluda, S.C., 11.97, $121; 11. Ray Koon of Lexington, S.C., and Mike Huffstettler of Chapin, S.C., 11.70, $103; 12. Bobbie and Robbie Goldman of Aiken, S.C., 11.67, $135.
BASS TOURNAMENT SCHEDULES
Tarheel Team Tournaments
March 11 at Kerr Lake out of Flemingtown Landing; March 25 at Kerr Lake out of North Bend; April 9 at Kerr Lake out of North Bend; April 29 at Kerr Lake out of North Bend; May 21 at Kerr Lake out of Flemingtown Landing; June 10 at Kerr Lake out of North Bend; June 25 at Kerr Lake out of TBA; July 15 at Kerr Lake out of North Bend; Oct. 7-8 at Kerr Lake for championship out of North Bend.
This schedule is tentative and subject to change.
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Carolina Sportsman Magazine and CarolinaSportsman.com.