Please Sign In


New To Sportsman Network?
  • DOG PROOF THE CLUB BEFORE LETTING THE DOGS IN!!

    I just got back from a week long duck hunt on the Cape Fear River and wanted to share about a near disaster with our dogs. We arrived at the club after dark and it was a club we had not stayed at before this trip. We proceeded to let the dogs out since they'd spent more than three hours in the car and started unloading our gear. As we were unloading the trucks and get the house set up and organized we noticed one of the dogs chewing on something. We investigated further to find a green rat poison ball in one dogs mouth and immediately went to check the other dog who had his nose burried in a corner of the room eating away. We immediately started going around the house with flashlights looking in all the rooms and in dark corners looking for more of these pellets. Once we got them all we immediately called my vet who luckily answered his phone at 10 PM at night. He asked how much the dogs had gotten into and since we didn't know recommended inducing vomitting on the dogs immediately. We used straight Hydrogen Peroxide. Luckily we had some with us. The vet said if we can't get the dogs to throw up we need to find an emergency vet clinic. Cap fulls of peroxide won't work on a 100# lab you have to use as much as a 1/4 cup. The vet said to pour it in and keep their neck tilted up then walk them around a bit to keep 'em occupied and let it get down to the stomach. If you don't do this they will just throw up what is in the esophogus. Once both dogs threw up we looked in the vommit to see what was in there and one dog had about 7-8 green poison balls and one had two. The dog with the most was a small German SH Pointer and would have been dead by morning. Once we got done we realized the gravity of the situation. If we would not have noticed what the dogs had gotten into we could have both woken the next morning to two dead dogs. It doesn't take much rat poison to kill a dog. Most rat poison is a blood thinner and it will cause the dog to bleed to death internally. Signs are bleeding from the nose and eyes, gums, mouth and bloody stool. Before you let your dogs out and into the house do a quick walk around the exterior to make sure there isn't anything dangerous the dogs can get into then do a walkthrough on the inside also. Once you feel the location is secure then the dogs can get out, do their thing while not being in danger. Carry a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in your bag just in case. Hunting is rough enough and can be dangerous enough on the dogs to not make sure they are at least not going to get hurt or worse at camp!! The rest of the trip went great without any further problems and by the morning they were raring to go without any reprocussions from the night before. It never even crossed our minds that this stuff could be lying around until we had to go through it ourselves! Also talk with your vet and get a good idea of what to do should your dog get hurt in the field and know of the closest emergency vet clinic close to your hunting spot. Hunting dogs are like little kids they'll get into everything. Dog proof your hunt camp as if your three year old is staying with you. Also look out for household chemicals!

    Good Hunting! Safe Dogs!

    Dowse Rustin
    Charleston, SC
    'Maverick' Yellow Lab

    Tim Settlemeyer
    Raleigh, NC
    'Sadie' GSHP

    January 10, 2011 at 2:20pm

    Thanks for pointing me in this direction! I am glad and we are all feeling pretty lucky to get off with just an important lesson and not a real tragedy! I don't think we will go anywhere going forward without thoroghly checking things out!

    Thanks again!

    January 10, 2011 at 3:36pm
    User has no ads at this time.