DNR officers will look check for required safety equipment, along with proper boat and motor registration. The checks are part of a push to ensure the state's waterways remain safe for the holiday weekend.
Those not in compliance with safety regulations or registration requirements will not be ticketed during these complimentary inspections; instead, they will be given an opportunity to correct any problems before launch their boats.
DNR officers also will be available to answer questions and give boaters tips on how to stay safe on the water.
Courtesy safety inspections at the following locations and times:
• Alex Harvin (Lake Marion, Clarendon) – 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
• Billy Dreher Island (Lake Murray, Newberry) – 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
• County Farm Landing (Ashley River, Charleston) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Craig T. Campbell Landing (ICW at Little River, Horry) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Lake Murray Dam (Lake Murray, Lexington) – 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
• Low Falls (Lake Marion, Clarion) – 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
• Pidgeon Point Boat Landing (Beaufort River, Beaufort) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Remleys Point Boat Landing (Wando River, Charleston) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Clearwater Cove Landing (Lake Wateree, Kershaw) – 10 a.m. to noon
• Ebenezer Park Landing (Lake Wylie, York) – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Galivant's Ferry (Marion) – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Hallman Jr (Shem Creek) Landing (Shem Creek, Charleston) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Jessen Landing (Ashley River, Dorchester) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Pinckney Island Landing/C.C. Haigh, Jr. (Mackay Creek, Beaufort) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• South Island Ferry Landing (ICW, Georgetown) – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Twin Lakes Boat Ramp (Lake Hartwell, Anderson) – 10 a.m. to noon
DNR urges all boaters and water sports enthusiasts to be safety conscious, use lifesaving equipment, refrain from drinking alcohol while operating a boat, obey the law, and stay aware at all times of others in and around the water.
Of course, the agency reminds all boaters to wear lifejackets while boating and enjoying water sports.
To report boating violations such as reckless operation or an intoxicated boat operator, call the DNR toll-free, 24-hour hotline at 800.922.5431.