Nothing is better than getting what you want for your birthday, even if it’s a day late. That’s exactly what happened for Caleb Davis, a Lexington teen who downed a 13-point Chatham County buck on September 21st, a day after his 13th birthday.

“I picked the boys up from school and thought it would be a good day to go hunting,” said Jimmy Davis, Caleb’s father. “But, one of the boys didn’t have his hunting clothes, so we had to go back home to get them.” 

After deliberating whether there was enough time to get in the stands, the crew decided that it was better late than never. “I got in the stand about 5:00,” said Caleb Davis. “About 5:30, a couple of does came in to the corn pile, then a 6 point and a spike. But, one of the does winded me, and when it blew, they all ran.”

“About 30 minutes later, the spike and the 6 point came back,” said Caleb. “They were walking on a trail to the right of me, heading out to the bean field. They got scared and ran, and all of a sudden I saw a big buck coming in from the bean field. My heart started beating real hard.”

Davis would have to exercise patience beyond his years as he waited for a shot while the buck ate from his corn pile a mere 15 yards in front of him. “He came in and ate for about 10 minutes,” said Caleb Davis. “When there was barely enough light to see, I finally could get the shot on him.”

Although Caleb’s aim was true, the buck “jumped the string” and crouched as he prepared to flee the area after hearing the string’s percussion. But luckily for the young hunter, this would yield a spine shot that would drop the trophy in its tracks.

“He fell right down in the corn pile and just started breathing heavy, he wasn’t kicking around or anything, so I went down to go get dad,” said Caleb Davis. 

Jimmy Davis had already come down from his stand when his son texted him, telling him to come to his stand, fast. “When I met him on the way, he had his hands held up above his head. I thought something was wrong, but he was saying big buck,” said Jimmy Davis.

After hearing that his son thought the buck was shot in the spine, Caleb's dad decided to wait an hour before approaching him. “I didn’t want to rush him,” he said. “By that time, my oldest son, Jake, was out of his stand and we eased in real quiet. We could hear his antlers against a tree and when I shined the light, there he was, still alive. Jake had his bow, so he put him out of his misery and we dragged him out,” said Davis.

“I told Caleb, when he’s on the wall, it doesn’t matter where you shot him,” said Jimmy Davis.