The following open dates and bag limits for the 2007-2008 hunting season were established:
* dove - Sept. 1-Oct. 6, Nov.19-24 and Dec. 17-Jan. 12; daily bag of 12 and possession limit of 24. (Shooting hours for doves are noon to sunset Sept. 1-8 and one half-hour before sunrise until sunset thereafter.)
* rails (king and clapper) - Sept. 1-Nov. 9; daily bag of 15 and possession limit of 30.
* rails (sora and Virginia) - Sept. 1-Nov. 9; daily bag and possession limit of 25.
* gallinule and moorhens - Sept. 1-Nov. 9; daily bag 15 and possession 30.
* woodcock - Dec. 14-Jan. 12; daily bag 3 and possession 6.
common snipe - Nov. 14-Feb. 28; daily bag 8 and possession 16.
* early season Canada goose - Sept. 1-29; daily bag 8 and possession 16, except in portions of Dare County on and around Roanoke Island, where the daily bag limit is 2 and possession limit is 4. (When west of U.S. Highway 17, shooting hours for Canada goose extend to ½ hour after sunset during September only.)
* early season teal blue-winged, green-winged and cinnamon - Sept. 13-22 east of U.S. Highway 17 only; daily bag 4 and possession 8.
The Commission determines hunting seasons and bag limits for migratory birds based on guidelines from the U.S. Department of the Interior. After a series of public meetings during August, the Commission will establish seasons and limits for regular migratory waterfowl, including ducks and geese.
For a list of these dates visit the migratory bird seasons page on the Commission's Web site, or call the Division of Wildlife Management at (919) 707-0050 for more information.