Christopher McDougald of Gold Hill placed second with 17.16 pounds and received $964. Paul Tsiokas of Winston-Salem took the third-place prize of $643 with 15.09 pounds. Charlotte's James Tuttle Jr. finished fourth with 14.42 pounds, winning $450. Brian Fritts of Raleigh ranked fifth with 12.23 pounds and collected $386. Brandon Gray of Bullock claimed the sixth-place prize of $354 with 12.31 pounds.
Robert Perkins of Rougemont placed first among the co-anglers with 13.59 pounds and earned $908.
Other North Carolina co-anglers cashing checks were: Tyler Purcell of Pittsboro, second with 9.89 pounds, winning $454; Raymond Tuttle of Charlotte, third with 9.30 pounds, winning $303; and Jonathan Cone of Pell City, fourth with 9.10 pounds and co-angler big fish, 6.25 pounds, winning $292.
Inman wins on Kerr Lake
Greensboro's Mark Inman won the Aug. 20-21 Bassmaster Weekend Series Virginia Division tournament at Kerr Lake with a 2-day catch of 27.15 pounds, winning $2,421.
Wesley Cashwell of Roanoke Rapids placed second with 23.10 pounds and won $1,210.
Other North Carolina anglers in the money were: Rodney Sorrell of Stokesdale, third with 21.61 pounds for $807; and Cory Byrum of Garysburg, fourth with 20.65 for $565.
Cory Leonard of Castalia took the boater big-fish prize of $180 with a 5.25-pound bass.
Three North Carolinians fishing as co-anglers had paydays: Robert Perkins of Rougemont, third with 14.59 pounds that paid $382; Carl Pyrtle of Stokesdale, fourth with 11.04 pounds that paid $268; and Robert Green of Sedalia, fifth with 9.77 pounds that paid $229.
Roanoke's Robert Morris captured the co-angler big-fish prize of $94 with a 4.59-pound bass.
Montgomery has big payday
Andy Montgomery of Grover banked $35,000 thanks to his eighth-place finish at the Aug. 11-14 Forrest Wood Cup Championship on Arkansas' Lake Ouachita. Montgomery's catch totaled 42-11.
Bryan Thrift and Matt Arey, both of Shelby, also finished in the money. Thrift finished 29th with 18-6 and collected $12,500; Arey ranked 42nd with 14-6 and earned $10,000.
Randleman's Mike McDonald placed 14th among the co-anglers with 17-7 and won $3,500.
Scott Martin of Clewiston, Fla., the son of legendary BASS angler Roland Martin, captured the first-place prize of $500,000 plus a $100,000 bonus for the Ranger Cup.
Yadkin Team Tournaments, High Rock Lake, Aug. 20
1. Howard Bean (Salisbury), 21.49, $415; 2. Thomas File-Tom Ludwick (Salisbury), 18.23, $239; 3. Doug Young (Salisbury)-Ronnie Trexler (Gold Hill), 16.55, $110; 4. Ronnie Smith-Randy Weddington (China Grove), 15.39, $90. Big fish: Young-Trexler, 6.00 pounds, $91.
Southern Championship Trail, High Rock Lake, Aug. 20
1. Thomas Ludwick-Tom File (Salisbury), 18.27, $730; 2. Ralph Hollifield Sr./Ralph Hollifield Jr. (Winston-Salem), 16.87, $330; 3. Doug Young (Salisbury)-Ronnie Trexler (Gold Hill), 16.80, $130. Big fish: Young-Trexler, 5.97 pounds, $170. Note: Teams were allowed to fish the Yadkin Team Tournaments event and the Southern Championship Trail event if they wished. Weigh-ins were conducted separately which accounts for weight discrepancies in some instances.
Adam & Eve Trail, Lake Tillery, Aug. 13
1. Don Luther-Susan Luther (Troy), 15-00, $225; 2. Ricky Clark-Sherry Clark (Troy)10-01, $135; 3. Sam Lemons-Tracey Lemons (Mt. Gilead),7-15, $90. Big fish: Don Luther-Susan Luther/Bob Jennett-Mary Jennett (Kernersville), 4-2, $45 each.
Piedmont Bass Classics, Falls of the Neuse, July 23
1. Ben Cannon (Apex)-Ken Wall (Asheboro), 20.55, $560; 2. Jay Garrard-Trey Nichols (Durham), 16.13, $390; 3. Chris King (Reidsville)-Waymond Whitsett (Gibsonville), 15.67, $170. Big fish: King-Whitsett, 8.12 pounds, $196.
Falls of the Neuse. Aug. 6
1. Ben Cannon (Apex)-Ken Wall (Asheboro), 20.05, $680; 2. Dennis Allen-Keith Allen (Four Oaks), 19.63, $408; 3. David Hall-Dane Sallinger (Wake Forest), 18.02, $272. Big fish: Thomas-Jeff Clifton (Rolesville), 7.84 pounds, $224.
Jordan Lake, Aug.13
1. Dennis Reedy (Siler City), 26.65, $575; 2. Todd Sumner-Jeff Sumner (Southern Pines), 20.06, $305. Big fish: Dennis Reedy, 5.83 pounds, $140.
Falls of the Neuse, Aug. 20
1. Scott Smith (Apex)-Tony Woodard (Four Oaks), 16.32, $500; 2. Drew Smith-Lee Williams (Durham), 14.54, $140. Big fish: Smith-Williams, 5.99 pounds, $112.
STRIPED BASS TOURNAMENTS
Tarheel Striper Club, err Lake,K July 30
1. Steve Shoe-Phil Gray, 20.80; 2. Jim Merritt-Chris Price (Asheboro)-Mike Daniels tied Ronnie-Ruth Ann Cook 16.00; 3. Mark Unrue-David Wilburn (Asheboro), 13.85; 4. Blake Phillips-Jay Childress-Landon Langston tied Robert-Tyler Moss-Jason Brown, 13.35; 5. Russ Mitchell-Walter Brady, 12.55; 6. Bobby Garner (Badin Lake)-Joe Garner, 11.50; 7. Bobby-Amy Workman (Burlington)-Steven Loy, 11.45; 8. Robert Steele-David-Austin Woodward, 11.35; 9. Jeff Moore-Mike Hill, 10.60; 10. Jamie-Randy Garratt, 9.50.
Southern Crappie Tournament Trail
Oct. 22 at High Rock Lake; Nov. 5 at Jordan Lake; Nov. 19 at Oconee, Ga.; Dec. 17 at Lake Wateree, S.C.; Jan. 14, 2012, at StumpyPond/Fishing Creek, S.C.; Feb. 3-4 at Lake Greenwood, S.C.; March 24 at Clarks Hill, Ga.; April 13-14 at High Rock Lake for Classic.
Carolina Crappie Association
Oct. 15 at Stumpy Pond/Fishing Creek, S.C. out of Hwy. 21 Landing; Nov. 19 at Jordan Lake out of Farrington Point Landing; Dec. 10 at Blewett Falls out of Hwy. 47 Landing; Jan. 21, 2012, at Badin/Tillery out of God's Country Outfitters; Feb. 18 at High Rock Lake out of Hill's Minnow Farm; March 10 at Lake Greenwood, S.C. ; April 6-7 at Lake Wylie out of Buster Boyd Landing for Classic. Entry fee $150.
Piedmont Bass Classics Fall Team Trail
Sept. 11 at Falls Lake/Ledge Rock, Sept. 18 at Jordan Lake/Farrington Point, Sept. 25 at Falls Lake/Ledge Rock, Oct. 2 at Shearon Harris/Holleman's Crossing, Oct. 16 at Shearon Harris/Holleman's Crossing, Oct. 23
at Jordan Lake/Farrington Point, Oct. 30 at Shearon Harris/Holleman's Crossing, Nov. 6 at Shearon Harris/Holleman's Crossing for championship. Entry fee $120 per team.