The S.C. Department of Natural Resources has scheduled a series of 23 youth fishing rodeos and family fishing clinics across South Carolina for April and May for young and old fishermen who would like to be introduced to the basics of fishing.
For the rodeos, youth ages 6 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult, and no adult fishing will be allowed. Pre-registration is preferred, but registration is available on-site for most events. Register online at www.dnr.sc.gov/aquaticed/rodeos or call 803-737-8483. Sign in occurs 15 to 30 minutes before the start time. Bring your own fishing equipment and tackle. Bait may be provided at some of the rodeos.
Family Fishing Clinics are an introductory class to fishing. The clinics are sponsored by the SCDNR’s Aquatic Education Section and are designed to introduce the basics of fishing to the young and old or those who need a refresher to increase their future participation in the sport.
Family Fishing Clinics teach skills on how to tie a fishing knot, rig a rod and reel, and casting. The best part is everyone will get to try their hand at fishing. They are free of charge. Register online at www.dnr.sc.gov/aquaticed/fishingclinic or for more information regarding an upcoming Family Fishing Clinic event or to host an event, please contact Aquaticed@dnr.sc.gov or 803- 737-8483.
Upcoming Fishing Rodeos:
* April 11 - 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - The Ponds Fishing Rodeo (Dorchester County)
* April 25 - Blue Hole Recreation Area
* April 25 - Lake Thicketty
* May 2 - 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Draper WMA
* May 2 - Croft State Park
* May 2 - 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Star Fort Pond
* May 9 - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Goose Creek Rodeo
* May 9 - 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Sunrise Lake
* May 16 - Barnwell County
* May 16 - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Bulls Bay Nature Festival Rodeo
* May 16 - 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Cohen Campbell Fish Hatchery
* May 16 - 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Darlington County
* May 16 - Foster Park Lake, Union
* May 16 - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Harold Pittman Memorial Fishing Day-Blue Heron Youth Fishing Rodeo
* May 16 - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Jimmy Shay Memorial Fishing Rodeo at Lick Fork Lake, Edgefield
* May 16 - Piedmont Tree Nursery
Upcoming Family Fishing Clinics:
* April 18 - 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Lake Wateree State Park
* April 18 - 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - Lexington Wildlife Chapter
* April 18 - 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Lake Warren State Park (Shelter 1)
* April 18 - 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Sun City Grand Parents Park - Fort Mill
* April 25 - 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Aiken State Park (Fish Lake Picnic Shelter)
* May 16 - 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Sun City Grand Parents Park - Fort Mill
* May 23 - 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. - Lexington Wildlife Chapter