The S.C. Department of Natural Resources has scheduled a series of six antler-scoring sessions across the state for March, and will score antlers by appointment at five regional sites to find new entries into the state record book. SCDNR personnel will score deer at sessions in Greenwood, Six Mile, Bath, Spartanburg and Bonneau on set dates, as well as at the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic in Columbia the last weekend of the month. In addition, SCDNR will score antlers by appointment at regional offices in Columbia, Clemson, Union, Garnett and Florence.
A total of 6,168 sets of antlers – 5,936 typicals and 232 non-typicals – have earned spots in the state record book, which has a minimum of 125 points for typical racks and 145 for non-typicals, with scoring done on the Boone and Crockett Club’s system.
SCDNR hopes to recognize outstanding animals and to identify areas that produce quality deer, according to Charles Ruth, its lead deer biologist. This information allows biologists to take a closer look at habitat and deer herd conditions in order to make future management recommendations.
Last year's measuring sessions produced 246 new entries into the South Carolina records list, the second-highest number of entries in the last 15 years.
Hunters must provide necessary documentation, such as the date and county of the kill, and sign a "fair chase" statement when they bring in a set of antlers for measuring. Antlers in velvet or those that are broken and repaired or antlers separated from the skull plate cannot be officially measured for the state records list. If the lower jawbone of the animal was extracted during taxidermy or otherwise saved, it should be brought to the scoring session so biologists can determine the deer's age. An accurate weight measurement at the time of the kill is also helpful.
2014 ANTLER MEASURING SESSIONS
• Tuesday, March 4, 2-8 p.m., Greenwood, Hunter’s Headquarters, 1845 Calhoun Rd., 864-223-1911.
• Thursday, March 6, 2-8 p.m, Six Mile, Durham’s Grocery, 3210 Walhalla Highway 864-868-2070.
• Friday, March 7, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Bath, Wilson’s Taxidermy, 158 Victory Lane, 803-593-3357.
• Monday, March 17, 2-8 p.m, Spartanburg, Academy Sports, 100 Peachwood Centre Dr., 864-216-8960.
• Wednesday, March 26, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Bonneau, Dennis Wildlife Center, 305 Black Oak Road. Please call ahead 843-825-3387.
• Friday, March 28, noon to 8 p.m., Columbia, Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic, State Fairgrounds, 803-734-3886.
• Saturday, March 29, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Columbia, Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic, State Fairgrounds, 803-734-3886.
• Sunday, March 30, 1:30-6 p.m., Columbia, Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic, State Fairgrounds, 803-734-3886.
• Clemson: At SCDNR Office, 311 Natural Resources Dr., by appointment only during March 864-654-1671, ext. 16.
• Columbia: At SCDNR office, 1000 Assembly St., by appointment only any time of year, 803-734-8738.
• Florence: At SCDNR office, 295 S. Evander Dr., Florence, by appointment only during March, 843-661-4768.
• Garnett: Webb Wildlife Center, 1282 Webb Ave., by appointment only during March, 803-625-3569.
• Union: At SCDNR Office, 124 Wildlife Dr., Union, by appointment only during March, 864-427-5140.