On the first day, Lake was the only fisherman who brought to the scales a 5-fish limit. It weighed 11.52 pounds and put him well on the way to his winning total of 17.6 pounds, worth $796.
Lake fished the upper part of the lake and caught his fish using a Pop-R on points and flipping docks with plastic worms and lizards.
Sean Anderson of Leesville finished second with seven bass weighing 15.84 pounds, worth $420. Gene Parker of Asheville, N.C., was third with 15.09, winning $60; Phillip Anderson of Saluda was fourth with 13.18 for $60, and George Berry of Saluda was fifth with 12.96 pounds.
Earl Purcell of Chapin had the tournament's big fish, a 7.64-pound lunker worth $65. He caught the fish on the lower end of the lake on a Texas-rigged plastic worm.
Hedricks win Midlands' Benefit Open
Rob Hedrick of Lincoln, Ga., his son, Robby of Kings Mountain, N.C., and father David of Bessemer City, N.C., fishing as Team Bait Hooked, won the June 16 Midlands Striper Club's Benefit Open on Lake Murray.
The Hedricks weighed in four stripers for a total of 55.2 pounds, including the tournament's two biggest fish: 23 pounds, 4 ounces and 16 pounds, 8 ounces.
Capt. Shawn Gearhart of Lexington and Team Gar-Hart finished second with four fish that weighed 34-9. Capt. Harold Alewine of Rock Hill and his wife, Debbie, of Team Jon Boy, were third with 30 pounds.
The tournament, which benefits the S.C. Department of Natural Resources' efforts to promote and enhance striped bass fisheries in South Carolina, drew 86 fishermen in 26 boats
Vance wins ABA on Wateree
Pat Vance of Sumter won the July 22 American Bass Anglers Division 96 tournament on Lake Wateree.
Vance caught three fish that weighing 5.52 pounds by flipping soft plastic on the upper part of the lake and won $321.
Mark Richardson of Irmo was second with three fish weighing 4.27 pounds and won $145. Ed Matthews of Columbia was third with one fish at 2.23 pounds. It was the big fish of the tournament, worth $45.
Dudley wins Weekend Series event on Hartwell
William Dudley of Royston, Ga., won the final Bassmaster Weekend Series Division 9 event of the year June 30 on Lake Hartwell.
Dudley from Royston, Ga., caught five bass weighing 18.15 pounds on topwater baits. He netted $1,796 for his win.
Russell Davis of Bowersville, Ga., was second with 16.66 pounds, winning $898. Mike Cooper of Easley was third with 13.38 for $599. Sammy Moody of Mauldin had 12.49 for fourth and $419, and Ryan Bowman of Kingsport, Tenn., rounded out the top five with 12.36 for $359.
Michael Woods of Goose Creek won the co-angler division with three bass weighing 11.5 pounds. He took home $842. Ken Fender of Dallas, N.C., was second with 10.49 pounds and won $421. Travis Malphrus of Ridgeland was third with 9.52 pounds, including the 5.17-pound big fish. His winnings totalled $354. Roman Padgett of Hardeeville was fourth with 8.39 pounds for $196, and Russell Gardner of Seneca was fifth with 6.93 pounds for $168.
Marsh, Wolfe cash checks at Lake Champlain
Cecil Wolfe of Cross finished ninth in the co-angler standings at the Everstart Northern Open on Vermont's Lake Champlain on July 19-31, and a three weeks earlier, Marc Marsh of Prosperity finished fourth in the co-angler standings in the FLW Tour event on Champlain.
Wolfe finished with 34 pounds, 1 ounce and won $936. He was sixth after a 16-11 catch the first day and second the second day after 15.07-pound catch. He caught only one fish the final day and dropped to ninth.
Marsh was ninth in the FLW standings after a 15-10 catch the first day, then moved into second with a 30-12 total for two days. His third-day catch of 12-9 dropped him to fourth, but he still banked $3,304.
In the FLW event, Todd Auten of Lake Wylie finished 54th in the pro division with 31-1, taking home $3,086.
CATT Summer Trail, Waccamaw River, July 21
1. Chris Jones-Ed Owens, 5 bass, 16.30 pounds, plus big fish, 6.20 pounds, $840; 2. Timmy Barfield-Joel Barfield, 5, 12.60, $275; 3. Andy Howell-Wesley Howell, 5, 10.30, $125; 4. Carlton Thompkins, 10.30 pounds. Second big fish: Greg Martin-Mike Phipps Jr., 4.15, $60.
CATT Summer Final, Lake Wateree, July 14
1. Steve Phillips, 5, 17.62 pounds, $3,000; 2. Chad Rabon-Walt Almond, 5, 16.26, plus 1st big fish, 4.69 pounds, $1,296; 3. Donald Hinson-Pat Clark, 5, 12.42, $770; 4. Max Price, 5, 12.42, $400; 5. Tommy Floyd-Randy Welch, 11.43, $200.
CATT Sumer Trail, Waccamaw River, July 7
1. Jonathan Hammond-Van Turbeville, 5 bass, 11.25 pounds, plus 1st big fish, 4.45 pounds, $640; 2. Mark Johnson-Kyle Johnson, 10.50, $415; 3. Shawn Hicken, 10.40, plus 2nd big fish, 3.75 pounds, $185; 4. Timmy Thompkins, 8.95, $100.
Summer Final, Santee Cooper, June 30
1. Chris Brunson-Nelson Walker, 5 bass, 20.80 pounds, $1,200; 2. Lee Morris-Robert Ross, 5, 19.60, $960; 3. Brett Mitchell, 17.32, plus 2nd big fish, 6.42 pounds, $401. Big Fish: Danny Lowery-Perry Holloway, 8.07, $84.
Summer Trail, Lake Wateree, June 30
1. Jimmy McFarland-Calvin Griggs, 5 bass, 21.94 pounds, plus 1st big fish 5.96 pounds, $1,118; 2. Clint Postell-Richie Hughes, 5, 17.93, $300; 3. Bubba Jackson-Joey Outlaw, 5, 15.09, $200; 4. Steve Phillips, 5, 14.17, $120. Second Big Fish: Daniel Sheheen-Chad Lynch, 5.95, $72.