Many great teams have a superstar or two who account for 90 percent of the attention, popularity and identity. The other 10 percent of the roster consistently adds production and contributes to overall success. In times of need, an alternate can step up and fill a role when needed.
Capt. Jot Owens checked the wind before ever setting foot on the dock. All the flags were hanging limp, and the lines extending up the aluminum masts of sailboats were silenced of their nearly incessant summertime clanging. The weather report was for more of the same, calm winds and slight seas.
Lexingtons Charlie Kingen has fished for about every species that swims in High Rock Lake. Working for Maynard Edwards Yadkin Lakes Guide Service, Kingen has taken clients fishing for largemouth bass, crappie, striped bass and channel catfish.
The only thing missing was the lonely ringing of the bell on the buoy marking the entrance to the South Edisto River. Otherwise, the anglers aboard the Marsh Hen, waiting at anchor, putting out a chum slick, could have been on board the Orca, waiting for a visit from the 20-foot great white shark of Jaws fame.
Early on a pleasant, late-summer morning, Capt. Tyler Gault and his daughter, Sherri Hightower, left a grocery-store parking lot on Ladies Island. A tailing tide was rolling in, and the flooded grass flats along the Coosaw River were waiting.
Matt Landrum get to work and play at the same time. Standing in a parking area at the base of the Manns Harbor Bridge, surrounded by vehicles carrying colorful kayaks, Landrum prepared to join a small armada of paddlers heading out on a beautiful morning.
Big things really do come in small packages sometimes. Any fisherman who doubts that needs only to look at the S.C. Department of Natural Resources State Managed Lakes program. Nineteen different lakes, most of which cover less than 100 acres, collectively present a tremendous amount of fishing opportunity to South Carolina fishermen.
David Franklin of Carolina Beach was heading out of Masonboro Inlet for an evening of fishing for speckled trout, red drum, flounder or anything else that would bite. As his boat cruised past the southern rock jetty, he saw a flock of pelicans, gulls and terns circling, hovering, then diving into the water.
Summer is here, and the fishing is hot. Everything is hot. The air is hot. The water is hot. Stand on the open deck of a boat at mid-day and pretty soon, youll be hot too. Theres no way youre going to catch fish in this heat. Right?
Deer season opens this month in the Lowcountry, giving hunters the opportunity to take a nice buck in velvet.